The power of a retweet is unquestionable. Retweets lead to more exposure, traffic to your blog, and followers. However, many people see getting more retweets as an enigma with no answer. However, getting more retweets does not have to be as challenging as people make it seem to be.
I was on the same boat. It seemed as if my tweets were never going to get any retweets. I went for months without getting any retweets unless I used a points system to get more retweets. Then, I tapped into a method that allowed me to gain 200 followers every day. By getting more followers, I was able to get more retweets, but followers is not enough. This perfectly sets up the first tip of the 12.
- Get more targeted followers. 10,000 targeted followers are better than 100,000 followers who do not care about the topics you tweet about. Find someone in your niche who is growing a steady following, and then use Tweepi to follow that person’s followers. When doing this, be sure to follow the people who are likely to follow back.
- Apply Tip #1 to the leader of your niche. For a long time, I was following other social media experts’ followers, and I made sure that each expert had over 200,000 followers. The strategy was every effective, and I went from 10-20 followers every day to getting 150-200 followers every day. Then, I decided to follow Sean Gardner’s (@2morrowknight) followers. Sean is ranked by Forbes as the #1 most influential social media power user of 2013. I decided to follow his followers, and then I was suddenly gaining 500+ followers every day. Getting those followers contributed greatly towards my retweets.
- Tweet motivational quotes. This tactic almost never fail. When reading a motivational quote, people feel empowered. As a result, they retweet the motivational quote so their other followers get to see it.
- Connect with your followers. I have noticed that the people I connect with on Twitter often retweet my tweets. In fact, some of my followers have revined my Vines. Connecting with your Twitter followers will trickle to your other social networks as well.
- Thank your followers for retweets. When someone shares one of my blog posts, I tend to thank that person and/or favorite the tweet. Thanking your followers shows them that you care for and appreciate what they do for you.
- Tweet pictures. There are numerous studies about how tweets with pictures get more engagement than tweets without pictures.
- Better yet, tweet infographics. At the time, my average tweet got around 2-4 retweets. Then I decided to tweet an infographic.
- Tweet news stories. Everyone wants to keep up with the news. One time, I tweeted about a news story, and the tweet got retweeted 16 times. At the time, I would have been very happy with 1 retweet.
- Tweet more. One of the ways that I increased the number of my retweets was by tweeting every 30 minutes instead of every hour. Tweeting more also results in more favorites, conversations, and in some cases, sales.
- Host a giveaway. One giveaway resulted in Esurance gaining 200,000 followers in less than 24 hours. The fact that Esurance had pictures of the $1.5 million also contributed to the surge of followers. Esurance ended up losing (many) followers after the giveaway, but Esurance is better where it is today than where it was before the giveaway (10,000 followers before the giveaway).
- Include RT at the end of some of your tweets. The RT works as an effective exclamation point that tells people to retweet your tweet. Using RT results in more retweets, but overusing this tactic will result in an overused exclamation point–neither work the way they used to.
- Retweet the tweets of others. The people you tweet may decide to retweet you back. You can’t have your content in front of your followers every single time which is why retweeting others will open them up to a greater variety of content. Some of your followers may end up retweeting your retweets!
Those are 12 simple ways to get more retweets on Twitter. They do not take countless hours to implement. Some take as little as 1 minute while others can take 15-30 minutes at most. With these tactics, you will be able to see more retweets and make stronger connections with your followers.