If used properly, a blog can allow the people in your tribe to easily connect with you and each other. In an attempt to learn about using a blog properly, bloggers come across multiple blog posts that contain tips and tricks about being successful with a blog. You may have stumbled across this blog post in your epic search to discover more blogging tips. However, there are some methods claimed as effective that do not work as well. These are the tips that bloggers believe to be effective but are really big mistakes. These are the five notorious tips that stood out from the rest.
- Focus on SEO. This must be the biggest. lie. ever. Sure, there are bloggers who get thousands of daily visitors from search engines, but these bloggers reached that point by creating a large social media audience. It was easy for me as a new blogger to believe that SEO was the key to success. SEO is still the key to success, but getting social media traffic is what provides the flare for SEO traffic. When I started to bring in over 300 daily visitors from Twitter, I immediately saw a rise in my SEO traffic. It was not one of those rises that is hard to detect. It was one of those rises that allowed me to get 50 extra visitors from SEO overnight (which at the time was a ginormous increase). Do not focus on SEO. Focus on creating a big social media presence.
- Never recycle your old content. Not only is it okay to do so, but it is also beneficial. It benefits you because you have one extra blog post scheduled without writing any new content, and your readers get to read valuable content they may have forgotten. It is also important to remember that none of your readers read your blog in the order that the blog posts are published in. Many of your visitors never read the blog post you wrote two years ago, and there will be some visitors who did not read the blog post you wrote two months ago. Here is more information about recycling your blog’s content.
- Your blog’s loading time is not important. Few people recognize the significance of a fast blog. If your blog takes a few seconds to load, then that’s too long. Even if the pictures on your blog take a while to load, it is essential that your readers are able to see the content of your blog post. These are some ways to make your blog load faster.
- Valuable content is all you need to write a great blog post. There’s so much more than that. Having a bad headline, putting all of your content in one big block of text, and grammatical errors all decrease the value of your blog post. It may contain valuable information, but people must have a desire to read it in order for your blog post to be worth anything.
- The longer they are, the better they are. Longer blog posts have better rankings on the search engines, but that’s the only reason you would want to write a long blog post. The truth is that your readers are very busy people. They have other blogs to read, work to do, places to see, and places to be. They are not going to read a blog post that is as long as a novel. For this blog post, I could have bored you with three examples for each of these five bad tips. I’m sure this blog post could have easily been 3,000 words long if I did that, but who would read through that? Getting subscribers and returning visitors is not just about getting them to come by and read your valuable content. It’s also about getting these people to read through your entire blog posts. A 3,000 word valuable blog post that gets skimmed over typically does not provide the same value as a 1,000 word blog post on the same topic with the same methods that gets read from start to finish.
Now that you know the five worst blogging tips, you know some of the things that you as a blogger need to avoid. Which mistakes were you making?