One of my favorite toys to play with as a kid was the 20Q toy. I enjoyed how I could respond to 20 questions, and somehow the 20Q toy would always know what I was thinking about. I decided to mix the 20Q toy with my love of blogging to come up with a 20 question quiz to determine whether you are cut out for blogging–and being successful at it–or not.
- Can you write blog posts every day for many years to come? The right answer is yes.
- Do you believe your traffic will dramatically increase overnight? The right answer is no.
- How long will it take for your blog to become popular? The right answer is at least one year.
- Are you writing about what you enjoy? The right answer is yes.
- Is a blog merely a place to promote a product? The right answer is no.
- Is a blog a place to show ads? The right answer is no (more on this here)
- Will you trade in your passion for money? The right answer is no.
- Will you treat blogging as a hobby? The right answer is not forever. It will become more than that.
- Would you blog even if you knew you wouldn’t make any money from it? The right answer is yes. It takes some bloggers a few years before seeing a huge profit.
- Would you write a blog post late into the night if you had to? The right answer is yes. If you enjoy blogging enough, writing late into the night won’t be a problem.
- Do you read books? The right answer is yes.
- Are you only blogging for the money? The right answer is no.
- Do you want to avoid making mistakes? The right answer is no. We all make mistakes anyway. As hard as it is to believe, I make mistakes too (okay, my ego got the best of me there).
- Do you envision your blog becoming successful? The right answer is yes.
- Do you want to be an author? The right answer is yes. If you want to be an author, then you would also make for a really good blogger.
- Are you blogging just to get more traffic? The right answer is no.
- Is blog traffic more important than having fun writing the content? The right answer is no.
- Are you happy with where you are? As long as you keep on growing and never settle, it’s great to be happy with where you are. If you settle, there’s a problem.
- Do you set goals for yourself? The right answer is yes.
- Would you write for a guest blog? The right answer is yes. This shows you enjoy writing content and getting traffic to the point where you would write for someone else. This will make you a better blogger and writer when you write for your own blog and publish your own books.
If you had the right answers for most of these questions, then you are ready. If you got more than five answers wrong, you need to change your thinking about what it means to have a blog and write blog posts.
How did you do on the quiz?