Creating a blog has become very easy. Over a million blogs are created every day. However, most blogs get stuck at only a few visitors a day and stay that way too long. There are a lot of mistakes that get made, but these are the 5 most common mistakes that most blogs make.
- Not posting consistently. People who just created their blogs get excited and write blog post after blog post. This short burst of energy leads to 5 blog posts being written in a single day. However, there aren’t any blog posts for the next day or the day after that. Weeks, months, or even years after the first blog post, when a new blog post gets published becomes uncertain. People then lose interest in that blog.
How To Fix The Problem: Schedule blog posts to your comfort, but schedule them on a consistent basis. If you want to publish a blog post once a week, schedule all of your blog posts a week in advance. As you publish more blog posts at specific times or days of the week, your visitors will notice. If people know when to expect new content, they will be on your blog at that time. I recommend publishing at least one blog post every day.
- Giving a really big sales pitch too early. The purpose of a blog is to allow people to know you for free. After they subscribe to your blog, they will get to know who you are through your content. If they like what they see, then they will buy your product. If you promote a product all over your blog before people have the opportunity to read your content or subscribe to your blog, you will scare people away.
How To Fix The Problem: Showcasing a product on your blog is important. However, you shouldn’t showcase the product too many times on your blog or else first time visitors will be annoyed. Show your products on the sidebar of your blog so they don’t get in the way of your content. The content on your blog leads to people buying your products.
- Not having social media sharing buttons. Some of your visitors may want to share one of your blog posts with their followers. Without social media sharing buttons, the process of sharing your blog posts becomes more difficult for the visitor.
How To Fix The Problem: Make it easy for your visitors to share your blog posts by adding these buttons to the top or bottom of all of your blog posts. For my blog, all of the social media sharing buttons are at the bottom. When you put these buttons in your blog posts, give your visitors a bunch of options. I have social media sharing buttons for five social networks. Some bloggers also have a slide down on the side of their blog with more social media sharing options.
- Not sharing your own social networks. Once people leave your blog, they won’t come back unless they remember who you are. The best way to help people remember who you are is by giving them links to your social networks. Without giving your visitors the links to your social networks, there is a risk that they forget about you for a while.
How To Fix The Problem: By including the links to your social networks, you will be able to get more followers on those social networks, and people will remember you. There is a lot of competition on the web, and in order to claim your place, people need to know who you are and not forget. There are a lot of WordPress plugins that will make your social network buttons look good and link to your accounts. You can also have a picture of the social network’s logo on your sidebar and have it link to your social network when it gets clicked.
- Not Utilizing SEO Properly. There are a lot of ways to increase the SEO of your blog. However, a blog that is not utilizing SEO properly will not appear anywhere near Page 1 on Google. SEO leads to more traffic from Google which is where a majority of blogs get found.
By fixing these problems, your blog will grow dramatically. When I fixed these problems on my blog, my daily traffic had a 300% increase. By fixing these mistakes, your blog will be able to grow dramatically.