When people say they went somewhere or something spectacular, some of those people will feel obligated to prove to their friends that something happened by showing a picture. Proving our point has become one of the major desires for any human being. When it comes to buying products from the experts, potential customers have a stronger desire to see social proof. They want to see how big your social media profile became before buying your products. The proof of a successful product that people want is no longer just in the pudding. It’s also in the social proof. Here are five reasons why social proof is so important.
- Social proof can prove that your methods work. The person who has 10 million YouTube channel views is more qualified to teach people about going viral on YouTube than the person who has 1,000 YouTube channel views.
- Big numbers help out in decision making. You need to grow a bigger presence on your social networks so you are able to grow bigger numbers. Most people are more likely to follow the social media expert with 100,000 followers than the social media expert with 1,000 followers. Most people are more likely to view the YouTube videos with tens of thousands of views than the ones with a few hundred views.
- You become more credible. The experts in their niches who have hundreds of thousands of followers look more credible than the people who have a few hundred followers.
- You look popular. Big social media presences are associated with popularity. This is one of the reasons why we believe (correctly) that celebrities are popular. They have millions of followers to show for it. However, many people buy fake followers to make themselves look popular. This does not result in popularity, and it’s easy to get caught.
- You look successful. Think about #3 and #4. A bigger social media presence would make someone look more credible and popular. Those are two of the many essential components of a successful person crushing their niche. Many people have great respect for those who are successful in society.
Social proof is not just an ego exercise. Instead, it is a way to tell people that you know how to master the system, become successful, and then your knowledge will become more valuable. Do you have Reason #6 for why social proof is valuable?