- Being consistent is not enough. You have to be more than consistent. If you come out with a video every week, that’s great. If you come out with a video every week and one tweet every hour, that’s great too. If you can come out with one video every week, one tweet every hour, and 20 Instagram photos every day (those photos would be related to your niche), that’s superb. I used to only publish 1 blog post every day in the morning. Now I publish 2 blog posts every day, and my traffic has jumped up dramatically.
- People want to see what they are actually getting. Back when TV advertising was all well, people were able to see what they were actually getting. People want little tidbits of information whether it is in the form of blog posts, videos, or preferably, both. When people see a lot of good reviews, they are more likely to buy a product.
- It’s not about you, but it’s not about all of your clients either. Identify your top clients and shape your business around those clients. They are the ones who are going to come back often and tell more people about you. If you want to learn the whole process of doing that, I highly recommend getting a copy of The Pumpkin Plan by Mike Michalowicz.
- The ways to properly market a product are constantly changing. Be aware of those changes and react to them. The future way to successfully market a product is with mobile. In fact, more people are using mobile as the days go by.
The old methods don’t work anymore, but some people refuse to admit it. There are still a lot of commercials on TV. Those commercials don’t work as well as they used to. Everyone just wants to watch their favorite show now, but that’s not all.
The invention of cell phones–the cell phones with all of the apps like the iPhone–have hurt the marketing value of TV commercials dramatically. Instead of watching the commercials, I can always play the game Risk on my iPhone.
I’m not alone. There are more people with cell phones (4.8 billion) than there are people with toothbrushes (4.2 billion). I am not making that up.
That’s one of the possible reasons why people don’t watch TV commercials anymore. There might be other people who just don’t like the advertiser. I eat healthy, and my mom is a certified nutritionist, so I either mute or turn off the TV during all of the commercials promoting fast food restaurants.
People are also being taken away from the TV because of YouTube. Instead of waiting for all of the commercials to go by, you can watch the re-runs. There are some commercials on YouTube, but you get to skip most of them in 5 seconds. Then, you get to watch what you wanted to watch.
With TV advertising, there’s tons of commercials. Three minutes of commercials feels like a half an hour. You might as well watch paint dry. There’s no skip in 5 seconds option. The only option is to watch the entire commercial which turns people and their TVs off (although the Super Bowl is an exception).
When the TV advertisement reaches some people who are interested, most won’t buy the product. That’s because those people already have a similar seller that they trust. If you create blogs on WordPress, you won’t like the transition from WordPress to Blogger and vice versa.
Finally, that big audience you advertised to turns into the lone remainder. The few people who forgot to charge their cell phones, didn’t have the TV remote nearby, and decided to listen to your commercial since it was the only option.
TV advertising is not what it used to be. Change isn’t an option, it’s a necessity.
When a new entrepreneur’s business isn’t doing well, they think in due time, everything will be alright. People will come, see what their all about, and sales will flourish. People will simply come. The worst is going to be over in a matter of weeks or a month at most.
Wrong! People don’t simply ‘just come.’ When I published my first book, I waited an entire month before it got any sales. Now I get multiple book sales every month. However, it took awhile before anyone bought my first book. It took another month before I saw sales for my second book.
I just thought people would come, but I was wrong. I didn’t say much about those books, and I didn’t create videos talking about those upcoming books. I didn’t do any of the marketing prior to the book being published. I just thought, “People would come.”
It’s a trick. It’s an illusion. People don’t just come. You give them a reason to come. The experts have given us a false sense of hope in the fact that people will simply come.
People do come, but only when you market your product. I didn’t market my first book for 3 weeks, and then the first week I started marketing that product, I made a sale.
- Write a blog post about your product.
- Use Google AdWords.
- Tweet about your product.
- Pin a picture of your product.
- Put videos up on YouTube.
- Put a picture of your product on your blog.
- Tell others about the product before it comes out.
- Build suspense for the launch.
- Guest post on other blogs.
- Comment on other people’s blogs.
- Better yet, comment on other people’s YouTube videos.
- Keep on telling people about it.
- Tell your friends about your product and get them to tell other people about it also.
- Be patient.
- Allow people to subscribe to your blog to receive free updates.
- Offer free books.
- Offer free videos.
- Offer free KeyNotes.
- Offer other free stuff.
- Create another product.
- Better yet, keep on creating products.
- Believe in your product.
- Use Twitter Advertising.
- After all of that work, the results will come.
- Be patient (did I already mention that).
Everyone says go with the trend. If Instagram videos are a hot topic, people will want a book on that, right? That book will get more sales, but when Instagram videos just become the norm, you won’t get as many sales. If you create a book about Instagram videos a year or two after they were introduced, that book would get sales for a longer amount of time.
That toy everyone wants has something special to it. How about creating a replica. 3-D printing is making it easier to create replicas of stuff, but better yet, your own merchandise. They are getting cheaper, and Microsoft is coming up with a way to make 3-D printing as easy as pressing “Print” for a document. Maybe that’s the next big thing, and maybe that’s the market you should jump on.
When you have some free time, look into your ideas. See what kind of products you can create that will get a lot of sales. Maybe you can think of the next Facebook, if you’re really lucky. You can also think of the next multimillion dollar product. You can make something that everyone wants.
Maybe you just look at the competition and see what’s popular. People want to know a lot about making money online or how they can become healthier. Why not create products and books around those two things? A lot of people already buy products that help them make money online or become healthier.
How about selling something that is already doing well. iPhones are doing very well, and people will want to buy those. You didn’t make the iPhone, but you can still sell it anyway. People will come in and buy it. The only question is if they would buy it at an Apple Store which is the official source, or if they would buy from you. Someone will eventually come to you and buy the iPhone from you.
You can also ask your clients what they want to buy. Then, when you make a product, your clients will buy it. They will tell other people about the product, and you will get more sales out of it.
However, what if you didn’t get any clients yet or don’t know enough about the clients you already had? The third option, thinking of ideas and creating a business or product around some of those ideas is the winning sauce. Your ideas are unique, and if you create a product based on your idea, you will have a fun time doing so. You will be very productive as you finish the product.
When you start working on your product, it’s time to make people want to buy that product. The best way to get someone to buy your product is to talk about the product before it comes out. Talk about the product months before it comes out. People need to know about your product if they want to buy it.
Create videos for your products, and talk about them occasionally on your blog. In order to make a product that people will want to by, you have to tell them why your product is special. Does your book have something in it that the competition doesn’t want you to know or does your product have extra features compared to the competition.
What makes your product special? Tell people about it. A product can either be the greatest kept secret or a big success.
It’s easy to tell people about your business just by typing words and putting sentences on your About Me page. You can proofread and edit your bio. You can tell people what you’re all about without talking to them. You may not know who views your About Me page, but they know who you are, right?
When you tell people about your business, you will get a lot of visitors going to your About Me page. People will want to know what you’re all about, and an About Me page the perfect way to get the job done.
Although telling people about your business is a way to get more sales, talking about your business is different. When you talk about your business, you have to be talking with another person, face to face. When you talk to others about your business, you are building strong connections. The people you talk to will become your biggest supporters and your top clients.
Marketers are going for a strong About Me page, but there is nothing better than actual human contact. Human contact is not tweeting or sending a text. Those are forms of communication. Human contact is when two or more people are actually engaging in a conversation in the same room. You’re giving a few people (or a couple of hundred people) your undivided attention.
When you tell people about your business, you aren’t going to meet them all. When you talk to people about your business, you get to meet them all. Some of those people will end up becoming your top clients.