One of the least appreciated ways to get more traffic is making your blog load faster. The faster your blog loads, the better it ranks on search engines. Most people think that if it takes a few seconds to load a blog, then that blog is fast. However, patience is becoming a virtue that few people have. There are many cartoons of people of what happen to people when they wait for a 5 second ad on YouTube.
Making your blog load faster will result in more people staying on your blog. In order to get them to stay on your blog longer, all you have to do is focus on your blog’s bounce rate. Making your blog load faster will help out with your blog’s SEO. Now that you know why it is important to have your blog load faster, follow these 5 tips:
- Have less blog posts on each page. I used to have 15 blog posts on every page of my blog. However, having 15 blog posts on every page made the blog go slower. Now, there are only 12 blog posts on every page of this blog. Reducing the number of blog posts on every page resulted in this blog loading faster.
- Deactivate the plugins that you are not using. It takes more time to load a blog with numerous plugins. You may not be using certain plugins on your blog, but those plugins still slow up your blog. Deactivating plugins that you are not using can easily make your blog load 1 second faster. 1 second may not seem like a lot, but in the cartoons, a 5 second YouTube ad seems to take forever. The P3 Plugin will show you which plugins are slowing down your blog the most.
- Don’t go crazy with the pictures. Pictures also slow down a blog. It is important to have at least one picture for every blog post, but only use a picture if it is necessary. Don’t have numerous pictures that are not relevant or are not needed because they will slow your blog down.
- Look at your widgets. Less widgets results in a faster blog, but having no widgets is not good either. When you add widgets to your blog, make sure these widgets are absolutely necessary. If you are uncertain of whether or not a widget is important, it probably is not important.
- Make your pictures smaller. Big pictures slow down a blog, and it does not take a lot of pictures to slow down a blog. The best approach is to make your pictures smaller so they don’t slow down your blog as much. None of my pictures are higher than 300 pixels or longer than 500 pixels.
Those are the 5 ways to make your blog load faster. Implementing these tactics will allow you to boost your blog’s SEO. These tactics take less than 5 minutes to implement, but implementing these tactics can make a big difference for your blog.